Harrison Bros & Howson carving - Sterling handle mark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
goamules

Harrison Bros & Howson carving - Sterling handle mark?

Post by goamules »

Hi, I have searched and cannot find why this Harrison Bros & Howson carving set has a "Sterling D" mark on the handle. I'm no expert (USA here), but I thought mostly American companies used "Sterling". Also, there aren't the 4 hallmarks, just the word and one letter. Obviously the blade is H & H, did they every have other companies make sterling handles for their knives? Or is this their work? Can someone date this from what is shown? I assume the handles are hollow, yet they feel very solid and heavy. Could they be solid?

My best, we'll enjoy using this set. Would like to know it's history/age.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Harrison Bros & Howson carving - Sterling handle mark?

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

I do not know the answer to your question, but can offer a speculative guess as to the reason of the marking.

If the item was destined for export, likely to the States with your location, there would be no reason to bear the additional costs and delays of assaying and hallmarking as they were not required in that country, only that the item should be marked as 'Sterling'.

As to the 'D', Harrison Bros & Howson's New York agent was William Davidson, of 66, West Broadway. Could it be that the goods sent to Davidson were marked thus?:

Harrison Bros. & Howson - New York - 1899

As stated, just a speculative guess.

Trev.
goamules

Post by goamules »

Thanks. That seems to be a good educated speculation. Mine was less so, just guessing H-H allowed others to put handles on their blades, or sold them unfinished. Could these be solid silver, or just filled?
goamules

Post by goamules »

But there don't seem to be many "sterling" marked H-H out there. I find those that are, have UK style hallmarks.

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

They would be filled. Such knives are a standard two-piece construction with pitch filling the handle and bonding to the tang of the knife blade.

Trev.

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”