paperweight with silver base

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gleaming

Re: paperweight with silver base

Post by gleaming »

Thanks so much for all this great help Silvermakersmarks and AG2012!

I saw another posting of the Sileda hallmarks in an on-line auction for silver work on a glass item with hallmarks that closely resembled the marks on the base of the mystery paperweight (other than the date hallmark). I am not posting this image since I didn't take the photo, but you might see the other example of the Sileda hallmarks if you search for this image: "Sileda perfume, scent bottle, Selkirk Glass, hallmarked Britannia silver overlay"

Another thing that I noticed was that Scotcade Ltd. was not yet incorporated in 1985 (although the letter L dating the piece corresponded with 1985). Scotcade was not incorporated until 1987, while Sileda was incorporated earlier in 1974.

Phil hit a bullseye in recognizing the Sheffield and Britannia marks! Many thanks for his sharp eye!
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I have now had a reply from the Sheffield Assay Office confirming that the sponsor's mark on the paperweight is indeed that of Sileda Ltd. I quote from the e-mail:
  • Having had a good look through over 30 files who all used SL in their sponsor mark, I have formed the following conclusions:

I believe I have mis[-attributed] the [mark], I believe it is for Sileda, they had nine individual punches registered with us from 10th December 1980 to 2000. Some are incredibly small but their main mark is a rectangle with the clipped indent top and bottom of the rectangle between the SL.

Scotcade were using a rectangle same size to the above mark but with no indentations.

I do hope that this resolves the enquiries and apologies if I have mis[-attributed] a mark, let hope this rectifies the issue. If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards

Emma
An amazing statistic about the number of SL marks - we really are only scratching the surface with our identifications!

Phil
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Phil,

Many thanks for updating the topic.

We now have some information on Scotcade Ltd. at: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... de#p150681

and of Sileda Ltd. at: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... da#p151258

Trev.
gleaming

Post by gleaming »

Thanks so much, Phil, for this very informative new information from the Sheffield Assay Office confirming that SL represented Sileda Ltd. as the maker's mark on the paperweight base. You also hit the bullseye in recognizing the Sheffield, Britannia and date marks on the paperweight base! I certainly appreciate all of your help and knowledge in interpreting these tiny marks!

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”