Gravy/Sauce Ladle query

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
emptguy

Gravy/Sauce Ladle query

Post by emptguy »

Hello forum.

My local charity shop has what I believe is a 12cm long silver gravy or sauce ladle with marks I am slightly unsure of though I'm really just looking for re-assurance I think.

The maker would seem to be Charles Boyton and Son, a 'CB' over '&S' though I can't find an image of that form anywhere.

The other marks are a crown followed by a lion passant followed by a lower case 'k' so 1965-6. Should there be a leopards head?

I would welcome your expert opinions

Many thanks,

Ian T
AG2012
contributor

Re: Gravy/Sauce Ladle query

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
I think there is a crown for Sheffield.Cooper Brothers & Sons Ltd were active both in London and Sheffield.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Btw. it`s 1927.
Lower case ``k`` (Sheffield).
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I suggest that it's probably a punch ladle, the spout being for accurate delivery of liquid into glasses.

Phil
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Less than 5 inches long ?
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Yes, that's a thought; 12 cm hadn't crossed my mind! But it's definitely too small for soup, and probably also for gravy. It must be for something needing precision pouring.
emptguy

Post by emptguy »

Thank you all for this.

I must admit, I hadn't even considered Sheffield and looking again everything looks right for 1927-8 and Cooper Brothers & Sons Ltd.

As for purpose, could it be an English toddy spoon? I must admit this also hadn't occurred to me as I thought these were only made in Scotland. Showing my ignorance here!

Thanks again.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I have seen it referred to as a "Devonshire Cream Ladle" and sometimes the bowl looks more like a traditional bucket form...

I must admit I have no idea what Devonshire Cream is, but now that you know the phrase, you could search for other similar examples....

It has also been referred to as a "Gravy Ladle" or sometimes as a "Cream Ladle" too.....
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hello again,
Having closely inspected the images something crossed my mind.Reputable silversmiths do not solder handle to bowl like this.
(Arrow) Back side is not clearly visible.

Was the handle taken from elsewhere and soldered to the bowl ?
Or it was broken and repaired.Suspicious anyway,poor soldering.
I may be wrong, but again, the handle is badly soldered.Compare with small ladle by the same maker (bowl and handle in one piece,12 cm, 1923).

Regards
emptguy

Post by emptguy »

Thank you AG2012.

I must admit that when I first looked at the this joint I thought it was a little shoddy. And the more I look at it, the more it looks like a repair or two separate pieces joined together. Another point, the others ladles I have seen images of have a bowl either almost horizontal to or at a very slight angle with the handle. Mine is at 90 degrees.

Image Image

The reason I am trying to find out as much as I can is that the charity I work for wants to sell it. I wouldn't enquire about value in the forum of course. However initial investigations would suggest it's very low value so I doubt it would be worth anyone creating a piece from two others. So repair is more likely I think maybe to change the angle of the bowl for a specific purpose by the previous owner.

It's an oddity isn't it!

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”