Picture Frame, can't identify

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GABatGH

Picture Frame, can't identify

Post by GABatGH »

I can't make heads or tails out of this thing. I've used a loupe. I've taken pictures of them and played with them digitally, altering colors and lighting and shadows and every other setting I can think of to try and see the hallmarks better.

More than likely it's just that I'm just not knowledgeable enough in hallmarks to identify them.

The lion is plainly evident, but I can't even be sure what the letter is on the right. I've compared it to the date charts for London, Birmingham, Chester, Exeter, Newcastle, Sheffield, and York. I'm thinking that it might be Chester 1747, but I'm far from confident.

As for the other two, I got nothing. I think they're worn, which would actually work towards my 1747 theory. A newer piece wouldn't be as worn...

Here's a pic of the front and back, plus five more pics of the hallmarks up close, taken different ways or with different filters.

If someone could suggest a better way to capture the hallmarks, I'd be most appreciative :)

GABatGH

Re: Picture Frame, can't identify

Post by GABatGH »

I decided to dig out my digital microscope. Here's what I got with that

GABatGH

Post by GABatGH »

...and by "dig out" I mean my wife reminded me that we had one...
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Hi,

It is Carr's of Sheffield 1987.

Martin
GABatGH

Post by GABatGH »

juantotree wrote:Hi,

It is Carr's of Sheffield 1987.

Martin
After using the microscope I see that it's not a W at all, but 1987? No, it can't be.
GABatGH

Post by GABatGH »

I sort of see the RC mark. They've only been around since 1976.

They seem pretty current on social media, so I emailed them directly and asked.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Not sure why you don't believe us? It is as Martin has stated, Carr's of Sheffield 1987.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... rs#p132073

Trev.
GABatGH

Post by GABatGH »

It's not that I can't believe you, not that's not it at all.

The collection that this is from is filled with items that are quite old and quite varied. We have dozens of tea balls, spoons, trays, and all sorts of stuff from the 1800's, some earlier. For us to find an item from 1987 is just so odd.

Heck, some of the bags that these things are in are decades older than that!

Maybe he bought it because it has the look of old silver, maybe it came in a box lot at an auction. We'll never know.

Sorry if my comment was taken as an insult!
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Hi,

I am certainly not insulted, don't worry. This type of decoration while indicative of much earlier times, is still produced today by many picture frame manufacturers. With regards to the hallmarks on your frame, the second mark is the rose mark for the city of Sheffield, this replaced the previous crown mark in 1973, so any item with this mark can only have been produced after this date.

Martin

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”