A large Kings pattern knife

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Granmaa
co-admin

A large Kings pattern knife

Post by Granmaa »

Here is a knife in Kings pattern. I think it was made by Aaron Hadfield in Sheffield. The date letter however seems to signify 1848, but the duty head is undoubtedly a man, though I don't know which one. Also, I wanted to know what sort of knife this is. It is 11.25" long, too big for a table knife.

Miles

georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Miles. It is most certainly a large dinner knife for main course as was the fashion in the middle/upper classes of the day and on the pic you have uploaded it looks like young Victorias head..perhaps just the light...any chance of a clearer pic of all the marks please..E-mail if you like.
Best wishes, Mike.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Mike,

Here are some better pictures. I don't think the head is Victoria's, unless she had an exceptionally poor hair stylist!
It was intersesting what you said about table knives. I looked at a few internet auction sites, and the table knives there were 10.5" max which is why I thought this might be a cake knife.
Miles

georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Hi again.
One of the characteristics of a cake knife is a pointed end to pierce the cake and start the cut...I believe that has been so from time immemmorial
What is the letter in the box next to the crown?
Best wishes, Mike.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

It looks like an E similar to the 1848, but with the male head it seems unlikely. If it were the 1834 m everything would be easy, but you can clearly see the serifs. Tricky! I can't see it any better than the picture I've posted.

Miles
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Sorry to drag this old thread up, but I'm still uncertain of it. I found a cake knife with a similar makers mark attributed to Ashforth & Hearthorn; here is the link:
http://www.bexfield.co.uk/02/d837.htm

Does anyone have any info on these makers? And I still don't know the date.

Miles
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Can't help you much Miles. Just thought I'd mention that I've seen their name spelled Ashforth Harthorn. Don't know anything about them.
This is only my opinion, but I think you were correct with Aaron Hadfield.

Pat.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Thanks Patrick,

Why do you lean towards Hadfield rather than Ashforth & Hearthorn/Harthorn?

Also, I thought I'd mention that I saw a similar sized knife in the Millenium Galleries in Sheffield; they had labelled theirs "Carving knife".

Miles
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello Miles;
I'm leaning towards Aaron Hadfield rather than Ashforth & Harthorn because your piece has the dot between the A and H as it's represented in my copy of Jackson's for Hadfield..

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9152 ... 001lf7.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pat.

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”