John Turton & Co. Rose engraving on spoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GregHodgson1
contributor

John Turton & Co. Rose engraving on spoons

Post by GregHodgson1 »

Hi all

This set of teaspoons and sugar tongs are by John Turton & Co, Sheffield 1907.

Having read the interesting post by "dognose" (2005) regarding JT&Co and their colourful history I may be confused as to the timeline. Dognose argues that John Turton & Co continued using this name until 1888 when John Turton took his sons into the business and became John Turton & Sons. My research also found they became a limited company in 1910.

So am I looking at the right company? The spoons are from 1907 and are marked JT&Co. I must admit this silver lark is fascinating but frustrating..... As a newbie I am finding my way around so may have completely got this wrong - but I am learning.

So the question is are they by John Turton & Co?

I also note that the spoons appear to be Queens Pattern but they have an additional engraving of a rose on each one. Not sure why this would be and why anyone would go to the trouble and expense of having this done.

As always any information or help would be appreciated.

G

dognose
Site Admin

Re: John Turton & Co. Rose engraving on spoons

Post by dognose »

Hi Greg,

Yes, they are they by John Turton & Co.. That particular mark was entered with the Sheffield Assay Office on the 13th November 1905, they had also registered another mark in the previous year under the same name.

I just double-checked the information that I posted earlier, it was taken from: The Law Reports: Cases Determined by the Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice and it appears correctly. The conclusion is that at some point between 1890 and 1904, they reverted back to their earlier name.

Why the extra engraving? Well what a great wedding gift this would have been for Mr. & Mrs. Rose.

Trev.

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”