Possible Sheffield maker G.H - help needed

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Possible Sheffield maker G.H - help needed

Post by SilverK »

I'm trying to identify the maker of this folding fruit knife 'G.H', but I've searched various sources including the on-line facilities and can't find a reference to it. The combination of the trefoil duty mark and letter-box lion passant makes me think this is a Sheffield piece between 1797 and 1804. I'd be grateful for anyone's thoughts on who this maker might be.

It comes with a similar fork but it doesn't have a maker's mark, has a simple oval duty mark and a differently-struck lion.

They both come in a fitted case and look very similar in design, so I assume (perhaps incorrectly) they were made by the same maker either just before 1897 or in 1805. Any thoughts on a closer date would be helpful as well.

Many thanks.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Possible Sheffield maker G.H - help needed

Post by dognose »

Hi SilverK,

At this period, there were two 'GH''s registered with the Sheffield Assay Office. George Hawley registered a 'GH' punch, with no pellet, on the 22nd January 1784, and George Hague registered a 'G.H' punch, with a base line pellet, on the 12th March 1798. Your pellet is centred (G·H) and matches no registered mark at Sheffield at this time that I can find.

The trefoil Duty mark, to my knowledge, was only used from July 1797 until May 1798, so both makers are candidates, but to me the lettering on George Hague's registered mark, more closely resembles the lettering on your example. It is quite likely that he had several punches and as the only other Sheffield entrant had none, the position of the pellet may not have seemed critical at the time.

There will almost certainly be full marking on these pieces, but the other marks will be on the tang.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5545

and: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 31&p=15531

Trev.
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Hi Trev,

Thanks very much for your very informative reply. It certainly sounds as though George Hague could be the silversmith.

Regarding the use of the cusped duty mark (including the trefoil), readers may be interested in the article from Tony Dove which he wrote in The Finial some ten years ago. I'm not sure how the thinking has progressed since then, though. Here's the link:

http://www.bexfield.co.uk/thefinial/v14-04/pg04.htm
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Indeed, it would have been later than the 19th April 1798, the first day of use of the cusped mark following receipt of the new duty punch from London. (Sheffield Assay Office Day Book).

Trev.

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”