Maker's mark clarification - Help appreciated

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jonty

Maker's mark clarification - Help appreciated

Post by jonty »

I start with the confession that, at age 77, and with small but eclectic silver collection, I have only recently started researching some of the many gaps have in my knowledge pertaining to the items in my collection.

I have in my possession a Sheffield made gentleman's combination pocket knife which, among its seven features, has a fully hallmarked silver fruit blade. The maker's mark J.A.S. within a rectangle appears to be that of John Scholes but, as the date letter is for 1918, and John Scholes seems to have gone out of business in 1908, I am confused. Is the mark for a different maker ..... or.... was the name and mark of John Scholes bought out by another maker ?

Any help offered would be appreciated.

jonty.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Maker's mark clarification - Help appreciated

Post by dognose »

Hi Jonty,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your question cannot be answered without the required images. The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

http://www.postimages.org is recommended. Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

Trev.
jonty

Post by jonty »

Hi Trev,

Thanks for the advice and guidance. I think that, after several hours, I have managed to navigate and come to grips with the Tinypics site, and hopefully have now got two images to go with my original text. Not bad for someone from "the wrong generation".

Regards,

Jonty.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

This is J A Scholes (actually James, not John). I hope I am not being guilty of hubris if I assume that you got the 1908 date from my web site of makers' marks. If so, I must point out that the dates quoted there are not absolute working dates, but merely dates for which I have seen the marks in use. Next time the site is updated the dates will read 1899-1918.
jonty

Post by jonty »

My thanks to silvermakersmarks for your very prompt and enlightening reply. No hubris involved.....as I did, indeed get the date from your great website.

Another of life's mysteries solved.

Regards,

Jonty.

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”