Help w/ Identifying Mark and two different dates -

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ideabuilder

Help w/ Identifying Mark and two different dates -

Post by ideabuilder »

I have had this in the house, and am curious to what manufacturer and date is indicated? It seems like there are two different dates, even though the pieces are from the same set. Is that possible? I did not see the manufacturer listed on the website. Thank You

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help w/ Identifying Mark and two different dates -

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

The 'R' date letter indicates 1959, and the 'U', 1962. Such differences in date letters are not uncommon, it may be because the original owner built up the set year by year, or it may be because they were stock items of the manufacturer, and some pieces lay with them for a few years.

The maker was Poston Products Ltd. of Cambridge Street, Sheffield, who were in business up until 2011.

Trev.
ideabuilder

Post by ideabuilder »

Interesting. I had never heard of this company Poston Products...Were they considered one of the more quality manufacturers? Thank you for the info
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

They are not a firm I know much about, I have seen various pieces by them over the years, but I don't recall anything particularly noteworthy from memory. They also had an address in Birmingham and may possibly have had some sort of connection with the earlier business of A. E. Poston & Co Ltd. of Birmingham.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/bx_aePoston_B.html

Trev.

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”