Unrecognized Sheffield Maker on Victorian silver quaich

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
coldwaterjohn

Unrecognized Sheffield Maker on Victorian silver quaich

Post by coldwaterjohn »

This sterling silver quaich with Damascene work surrounding the outer bowl, has maker mark which I am unable to identify. There is no date mark at all - not even obliterated with the passage of time and polishing. However it is marked Sheffield, with the 0.925 mark, and with Queen Victoria's head. It was gifted to a relative in the early 1900s whilst Chieftain of the Baghdad Caledonian Society. On the base are stamped the numbers 5973.
I suspect the decoration will have been carried out in Baghdad, but I am anxious to trace the maker - M ? &? or C in a square, is all that seems decipherable.
Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.
coldwaterjohn

Re: Unrecognized Sheffield Maker on Victorian silver quaich

Post by coldwaterjohn »

Whilst their mark between 1901 and 1930 was not showing on this website, Martin Hall and Co Limited at their Shrewsbury Works looks a likely candidate - found at this website: http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Make ... eld-M.html
However this leaves the question of how the piece was stamped with Victoria's head used between 1838 and 1890 according to information here, and a maker's mark from 1901-1930?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm afraid your dating is a little out. This piece was assayed at Sheffield in 1932, and made by, as you have already found out, by Martin, Hall & Co. Ltd. of Sheffield.

What you thought was a worn Duty mark of Queen Victoria, is in fact the date letter 'P'. To confirm this you need to look at the shape of the cartouches, an important guide when dealing with worn marks. This set of marks has pointed bases, and this series of cartouche shape was introduced in 1918.

Trev.
coldwaterjohn

Post by coldwaterjohn »

[What you thought was a worn Duty mark of Queen Victoria, is in fact the date letter 'P'. To confirm this you need to look at the shape of the cartouches, an important guide when dealing with worn marks. This set of marks has pointed bases, and this series of cartouche shape was introduced in 1918.

Trev]

Trev
Thanks for such a swift response and clarification. That makes perfect sense, as he was in Iraq in the late 1920s until 1958. Looking at it under a strong magnifying glass I see exactly what you mean. Input much appreciated.

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”