Sheffield Date Mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mr.silver

Sheffield Date Mark

Post by mr.silver »

Hello All,
I have an antique sterling and ivory set of serving pieces with flora & fauna motif cut-outs. It is clearly hallmarked on the ferrule with Sheffield crown and left facing passant for sterling. However, the date mark is a "B" which is slightly covered on the top left corner by the maker's mark. It is the encircling of the B which is making the date identification a challenge. The circle is rounded at the base. Though all of the charts I have consulted show the B encircled in a rounded-edge "square". It appears very similar to the years 1805 or 1845. Could someone offer some insight for me on dating these?

Much thanks,

Charles
user701
contributor

Re: Sheffield Date Mark

Post by user701 »

The marks are too small to view properly, could you supply a close up photo of the marks please.
SirWatkynBassett

Post by SirWatkynBassett »

Hello,

Unless the business end of the fork is hallmarked, then only the ferule will be silver. This combination of a plated piece with a silver ferule is quite normal.

Suspect the dating of of this piece will be somewhat later.

Bassett
mr.silver

Post by mr.silver »

Thank you for the response. I am aware that only the ferrules are sterling. My question is regarding the date mark "B". I will post a closer image.
mr.silver

Post by mr.silver »

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Charles,

There does not appear to be a date mark present in your image. Are you sure that there is not another mark, perhaps worn, on the other side of the ferule?

The mark that you suspected was the date letter, underneath the maker's mark, is in fact that of the actual maker, the mark on top, 'RM', is likely to be that of a retailer, or perhaps the fork maker, is he outsourced the ferules. It cannot be a case of the maker's mark overstriking the date letter, as the maker's mark has to be struck pre-assay, thus the hallmark is always struck after the maker's mark, never before.

As stated earlier that date letter may well be on a different part of the ferule.

Trev.
mr.silver

Post by mr.silver »

Thank you, Trev and Bassett.
The information you provided is extremely helpful. The marks pictured are the only ones on the pieces. A date mark does not appear to present anywhere. I have carefully scrutinized them over and again. Your time and comments are most appreciated.

Regards,

Charles

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”