Help please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jasonr01

Help please

Post by jasonr01 »

Hoping that someone maybe able to assist. I have what I believe is a fruit knife. I believe it is stirling silver with a mother of pearl handle. Doing some research I believe it is by John Oxley, but I am hoping someone can help to confirm. the marks on it are a head, then a crown, then 'I', then a lion and the last is 'IO'. Any help would be appreciated.
oel
co-admin

Re: Help please

Post by oel »

Hi,
Welcome to the Forum.
Your question cannot be answered until you have supplied the required images.
How to Add Images
Posting Requirements
http://www.tinypic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
jasonr01

Post by jasonr01 »

Here are two images

techsol
contributor

Post by techsol »

Hi,

Yes you are correct, the maker's mark is that of John Oxley, it was hallmarked in Sheffield (crown) with the date letter for 1852 and the Victoria head duty mark.

Regards,
Martin.
MCB

Post by MCB »

The book The Sheffield Assay Office Register published by the Assay Office itself identifies only one mark for John Oxley. This was a rectangular mark of 1841 and showed a pellet (a dot) between the initials which were widely spaced. One website also attributes him with using a similar mark where there was less space between the initials but still with a pellet.
As he is recorded as a knife maker the mark pictured here might also be his but, because it is not a match for the one registered, there is more element of doubt.

Mike
jasonr01

Post by jasonr01 »

Thankyou for your replies. It has definitely been interesting to research it. more work to do.

Thanks

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”