Please help to identify this Hallmark set...

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
zsource

Please help to identify this Hallmark set...

Post by zsource »

Hello, I would like someone to help identify these hallmarks for me, and if possible to advise me exactly this type of set is called. Using the instructions on the sites homepage, I am quite sure that the items are: Sterling, Sheffield, 1838-1890, and either specifically 1843 or 1867. The makers mark is RM over EH, and that I have not yet identified. The set is of 12 individual salt servers with spoons, it is in a leather, velvet and satin box in which there is a round sticker with the name Wordley & Co., Goldsmiths and Jewellers, Lord Street Liverpool. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Robert.

http://sv1.letmehost.com/sv1/13/DSCN1776.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(edit - image too large, resize if you want it to show)
Gerryl
contributor

Post by Gerryl »

Looking at the Registers of the Sheffield Assay Office I am inclined to believe that the date of the piece is 1867 as the maker's mark is that of Martin Hall & Co Ltd who traded from Shrewsbury Works, Broad Street, Park, Sheffield.

Regards

Gerryl
Gerryl
contributor

Post by Gerryl »

A bit more information regarding your pieces.

In 1866 Martin, Hall & Co. was incorporated as a Limited Company under the chairmanship of Bernard Wake, with Richard Martin and Ebenezer Hall as joint managing-directors. This explains the initials on the maker's mark.

Again, regards

Gerryl
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Almost spot on Gerryl but Martin Hall entered this particular mark in 1863 and it changed to Martin Hall Co Ltd in 1880 according to my references. Not that I am saying you are wrong but that our references may differ. Your reading of the year of the mark and the maker of the item are spot on though. Best wishes, Mike.
Neruda

Post by Neruda »

By the way, the name for a container for salt is a "salt cellar".
zsource

Post by zsource »

I would like to thank each of you for your help. You have indeed answered all of my questions. Sorry for the photo issue as I believe 1 of them was entered in too large a format and was only visible by clicking in the link.

(admin edit - read the Guidelines)

Thanks, Bobby.
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

I agree with Mike. The "bubble" mark was used from 1863 until they entered the "diamond" shapre in 1880.

Waylander

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”