Lee & Wigfull.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
sinophile

Lee & Wigfull.

Post by sinophile »

I have a complete set of 12 knives and forks in a wooden velvet lined presentation case marked Rd No 117471. Blades are engraved. Handle material unknown -possibly bone. Believe made about 1897 in Sheffield. Hallmarked "L&W' "S" with anchor - three separate stamps. Set is unused. Are my assumptions about maker, age and handle material correct?
larkfield
contributor

Re: Lee & Wigfull.

Post by larkfield »

Hi
To me it would be a help if their were pictures of the items and marks as I am uncertain what you have.You may find all the information you need by going to the home page this site and checking both the Sheffield and Birmingham marks in the British Hallmarks section
1. The Rd No dates the item as not before 1888.
2. Are there any other marks other than the 3 you mention. You say there is an anchor which if the Birmingham sterling silver mark would have a Lion Passant mark as well. If plated then will not be a Birmingham mark and have either EP or EPBM or such on them
3. Do the forks have the same marks as the knifes and where on each are they. Pictures save a thousand words. At the moment I tend to go for electroplate.
Regards
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Lee & Wigfull.

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

As Larkfield has suggested, we cannot comment further until you have posted the required images.

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

http://www.tinypic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is recommended.

Trev.

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”