Atkinson Bros. long knife ivorine (?) handle

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
benharrison

Atkinson Bros. long knife ivorine (?) handle

Post by benharrison »

I have a long knife (pictured with penny for size contrast) labelled Atkinson Bros Sheffield, with clear but unknown markings where the blade meets the handle. Frankly, I am not even sure this is silverplate - I always thought it was some kind of stainless steel, yet there are clear hallmarks (pictured). I also believe the handle is ivorine? Any help would be appreciated. Retrieved from my late grandparents' cutlery drawer.

The hallmarks (pictured) are G.B followed by a crown followed by a lion followed by what appears to be a "D" but may also be a "DJ"?

Thank-you!

larkfield
contributor

Re: Atkinson Bros. long knife ivorine (?) handle

Post by larkfield »

Hi
The set of hall marks pictured only relate to the ferrule between the handle and the blade. The blade would most likely be stainless steel.
I cant help with the sponsor mark G.B, but the crown is Town mark for Sheffield, the Lion passant is the quality mark for Sterling silver and the last mark is the date letter v for 1913.( see British Hallmarks - Sheffield this site)
regards
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello

The only maker shown in the published Sheffield Assay Office register with the initials GB which would still be in use in 1913-14 is the one entered by Gertrude Brown from Globe Works, Penistone Road in 1890. Carving sets attributed to this lady have appeared in the past.

Best Wishes
Mike
lazarus

Post by lazarus »

The G.B. may be George Butler and the knife blade is still in production to-day, different companys have different names for the same blade, when I produced these carver knives at George Butlers they were called a Coronation Carver, it was also called a Double Hump Sword BUT it was just an ordinary Carving Knife.
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Lazarus

The published Sheffield Assay Office register shows George Butler & Co registered a mark AA in a clipped corner rectangle in 1872 and George Butler & Co Ltd registered GB Ld in a fancy shape in 1894 but makes no mention of a mark in the name George Butler alone.

In which year did he register GB in a rectangle please?

Mike

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”