Candlesticks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
novice enquirer

Candlesticks

Post by novice enquirer »

I hope someone can help clarify this silver mark. As a novice I cannot seem to get any further than an english mark and probably sheffield mark. I cannot trace the maker and am not convinced about the date mark. Your help appreciated.

(admin photo edit - in future please use tinypic.com, it'll save us the time needed to edit your links in order to make them visible)
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Candlesticks

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

What an amazing find! William Hancock & John Rowbottom of Sheffield and assayed in the first year of the Sheffield Assay Office, 1773. What a wonderful find, well done!

Trev.
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello.

That is why I hang around here. To see great items like this.
Congrats!

Pat.
novice enquirer

Many thanks for the information. No wonder I couldnt find it. I didnt believe they could be that old. Not a find as such but family stuff. I must now try and find out more about the makers.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

From Arthur G. Grimwade - London Goldsmiths - 1697-1837 - Their Marks & Lives, refering to John Rowbottom's London registration:

Ro(w)bot(h)am, John Mark entered as a smallworker, 14 December 1768. Address: Sheffield, Yorkshire, by letter of attorney signed Wm. Rogers. He appears without category in the Parl. Report list 1773. Son of John Rowbottom carpenter, apprenticed at Sheffield as cutler 1729. Free of the Cutlers' Company (of Sheffield), 1751. One of the original thirty Guardians of the Standard of Wrought Plate appointed for life on the establishment of the Sheffield Assay Office in 1773. He entered a mark with William Hancock of Sheffield in 1773 and others in 1774 and 1776. Address: Norfolk Street. Appears in the Sheffield Trade Directory, 1774 as John Rowbottom and Co., silversmiths and platers, Norfolk Street. Died 1781.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

From Frederick Bradbury's History of Old Sheffield Plate:

In the year 1773 was formed in Sheffield the first local silversmiths' association, the members of which were-

Winter, Parsons & Co.
Hancock, Rowbottom & Co.
Tudor & Leader
Fenton, Creswick & Co.
J. Hoyland & Co.
Richard Morton & Co.
Thomas Law & Co.

The object of this association was to form a combination of manufacturers who would agree to certain fixed selling prices for their goods, and restricting the discount to be taken off such prices to 20 per cent. for cash and 15 per cent. for credit.

In 1777 it was agreed to allow a discount of 10 per cent. to persons out of the trade who introduced customers and in settling the question of credit, the kingdom of Ireland was placed on the footing of a foreign country.

The meetings of this Association were held with tolerable regularity and were well attended. The appointed places of assembly were the various inns in the town, and members took the occasion to indulge in the convivialities of the good old fashioned supper.

The punishment for non-attendance at these meetings was the cost of one supper, 8d., and a further fine of 2s. 6d. making 3s. 2d. in all. These fines were rigorously imposed and paid. The Association seems to have terminated in the year 1784.

Trev.
novice enquirer

Many thanks for you valuable help. If I ever get any other silver I know where to come to identify it!

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”