James Dixon & Sons Toast Rack,need help with date stamp?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
PamNJ

James Dixon & Sons Toast Rack,need help with date stamp?

Post by PamNJ »

Hello,
I have what I believe is a James Dixon & Sons Toast Rack, with Sheffield marks. Am I correct in assuming this is Sterling, if there are no electroplate marks? Can anyone help with the date stamp, it looks like a I or an L to me. There is also a number stamp at the bottom of 4558, and some scratchings under the hallmark of what looks like CA/-1422. Any help would be most appreciated! Thank you, Pam
MCB

Re: James Dixon & Sons Toast Rack,need help with date stamp?

Post by MCB »

Hello Pam

Please have a look at the Forum British Hallmark opening page. The three marks after JD & S will confirm that the rack has been assayed and the second one confirms Sterling standard.
There you will also see that a Duty Mark would indicate an item was assayed before 1890. As there isn't one on the rack and the Forum's maker's mark list shows the JD & S mark was registered in 1867 the assay would be post 1890.
Although it doesn't extend beyond 1916 a review of the Forum's Sheffield date letter chart with the one on the rack should help you identify the year you are looking for because, whatever the letter actually is, the style of it and the shape of the outline of all three hallmarks appear to be in the sequence beginning in 1893-4. If you still have difficulty would you please send a clearer image of the date letter.
4558 is probably the manufacturer's pattern number.
The other marks are scratch marks, probably by previous owners, to indicate the weight, the cost or selling price etc.

Best wishes
Mike
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello again Pam

Having enlarged the date letter might it be the "r" for 1909-10?

Mike
PamNJ

Post by PamNJ »

Ok, I think the lightbulb is finally going on and I am starting to get it!. Since the date mark can not be the I in 1850, it must be the L in 1903, which the more I look at it, the more I am convinced! Thank you all and this forum for your education! I have many pieces I am trying to identify and what a help this has been!
MCB

Post by MCB »

My pleasure Pam; glad to have been of help.

If any of your other silverware looks as though it's British the information in the Forum's Hallmark section will help a good deal in deciding whether it's Sterling standard, who sent it for assay, where to and when the test was done. If you still have doubts however you know where to find us.

So the "r" is an"l"! As members will know I've been saying for some time new specs are needed!

Regards
Mike

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”