hallmarks on keepsake spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
magdalene

hallmarks on keepsake spoon

Post by magdalene »

Okay so I did post the two pictures but to my best camera efforts,. but haven't been able to find this particular hallmark with this spoon, which has a fig shaped bowl, and a rattail.<p>
ImageImage<p><p>
the hallmarks cannot be seen. they are, proceeding down the spoon from the handle end: in a sheild shaped indentation either a lowercase l or upper case i, the sheffield lion passant on a similar indentation, next a crown, with arches and crosses, on the same background indentation, and finally a heraldic shield, either quartered or halfed with the letters C or G in the upper left quadrant, B in the upper right quadrant, the letter ampersand in the lower left quadrent and the letter S in the lower right. I understand that ampersand S stands for and son usually... im sorry I can't get a clearer shot of the hallmark.
-Magdalene
2209patrick
co-admin

Re: hallmarks on keepsake spoon

Post by 2209patrick »

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe CB & S ?

Pat.
magdalene

Re: hallmarks on keepsake spoon

Post by magdalene »

cool and thank you, what troubled me all this time in the library books is that none of them could place the shape of the bowl of the spoon in this period, most were long oval or egg shaped in this pattern, so I have been searching in vain for ever... well, that is until now. :D.

Magdalene

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”