Tiny spoon Sheffield

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
roberd

Tiny spoon Sheffield

Post by roberd »

Hello.

I am new to this and hope you can help me. I think I have managed to identify the hallmarks on my friends little spoon. Sheffield 1910 William Hutton and sons! But still have 2 unresolved points assuming I am correct.
The makers mark I have found online and in books always seems to have an underscore on the 2nd S and D, missing from this one? is this normal for certain dates etc. or have I got it wrong. Secondly could anyone tell me what this tiny spoon would have been for. Many thanks.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_RM87R7Wlbrs/Sxb8D ... llmark.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello and welcome to the forum.
This firm regularly registered punches with other Assay Offices and some of these didn't have the marks under the "S" and the "D". Oddly, as it was a Sheffield company, these minor changes don't seem to have been registered there prior to the assay date of the spoon.
The relatively wide disc suggests the spoon stood in the neck of something at one time. The number of Scottish snuff mulls around indicates they were partial to a pinch of the stuff and the possibility that the highland dancer stood on top of a table snuff pot?
Mike
roberd

Post by roberd »

Many thanks for the information and your time. I was thinking along those lines myself but wasn't too sure. I have since discovered that some people refer to these as : Snuff, Cayenne, or even Cocaine spoons.

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”