Exeter teaspoons 1828. Who is maker RO?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MLF
contributor

Exeter teaspoons 1828. Who is maker RO?

Post by MLF »

These teaspoons measure ca. 14.5 cm and were made in Exeter in 1828. The hallmarks are a little rubbed but show first the maker, RO, then M for 1828, the rampant lion, the Exeter townsmark, and finally the mark for the reign of William IV.

Who was RO? I have not seen him (or her) listed anywhere. My search only came up with a pair of sugar tongs also made by RO that sold on an internet auction a while ago, but the seller didn't list any details. I gather Exeter silver is relatively rare, so I hope someone can tell me who RO was.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi, R. Olver a Plymouth goldsmith (earliest mention 1825) Source Jacksons p.321, hope this helps, regards Trev.
MLF
contributor

Post by MLF »

That's brilliant. Thanks, Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I've just noticed there is another mention of him on p.306, just saying that he was last heard of in 1831. There is a good possibity of course that this is a mis-spelling of Oliver if you are going to research further,
Trev.
MLF
contributor

Post by MLF »

Thanks Trev. - That's very interesting. Does the book mention how productive Olver/Oliver is thought to have been? Best wishes, Mikael
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

No thats all the details I could find, but it appears he had a short working life so pieces by him will be scarce and a set of six rare, a good find!!!
Trev.
MLF
contributor

Post by MLF »

Thanks for your help, Trev!

Best wishes

Mikael

Return to “Exeter Hallmarks”