William Welch.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
paulh
contributor

William Welch.

Post by paulh »

Here is a nice table spoon with an Exeter hallmark for 1807 and a maker’s mark W.W
This is where the puzzle starts. There seem to be two maker’s called William Welch, both with an identical mark. The first William Welch was working in Plymouth Dock from 1760, with evidence that he was still trading in 1809. The second William Welch appears in Exeter in 1801, just after the last recorded entry in the Assay Books of William Welch of Plymouth. I cannot untangle the two men to establish just which one is responsible for this spoon. Can anyone help?

Granmaa
co-admin

Re: William Welch.

Post by Granmaa »

Hi Paul,

The man who made your spoon was William Welch of Exeter.
Tim Kent wrote a good article on this subject called "A little light on the Welches" in The Finial. It can be read here: http://www.bexfield.co.uk/thefinial/pdf/20-01.pdf

Miles
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Thanks Miles. I thought you would have the answer.

Paul.
niceguy1

Post by niceguy1 »

HI

I also have a similar spoon, is mine by William Welch Snr or Jnr? & how is it possible to tell the difference between them?

Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Hi,

Have a look at this article entitled A little light on the Welches: http://www.bexfield.co.uk/thefinial/pdf/20-01.pdf
Miles
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Thanks Miles Sorry for the delay in replying. I have not had chance to peruse the forum for a while.
Paul.

Return to “Exeter Hallmarks”