Exeter? spoon 1810?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Jag
contributor

Exeter? spoon 1810?

Post by Jag »

I don't have very much non-American silver, but here is one that I believe is from Exeter. The date "O" in a rectangle is strangely re-used in 1762, 1810, and 1830 (what were they thinking?), but I assume this one is 1810 based on the style and engraved date. Maker looks like G&P to me. Does anyone know this maker?

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad13 ... IM1725.jpg

(admin photo edit - images too large - link only - see Posting Requirements )
Granmaa
co-admin

Re: Exeter? spoon 1810?

Post by Granmaa »

I believe this is the mark of Joseph Goss and Francis Parsons of Exeter. Though the partnership lasted a number of years, I've only seen this particular G&P mark with the 1810 date letter.

Miles
Jag
contributor

Post by Jag »

Interesting. So this would be a variation of the FP over BG mark which was used earlier? Does this indicate that BG is now the major contributor to the partnership, since his initial is now first?
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

This is a question which I have been researching for quite some time.

The FP BG mark actually refers to a B. Goss, probably Benjamin. As you say, they worked together earlier. I've found no records of a silversmith by that name in Exeter although there was a cabinet maker. I think it's most likely that he was simply a business partner to Francis Parsons, playing no role in the actual manufacture of silver items.

Joseph Goss, the G in the G&P mark, was apprenticed to a clockmaker in 1779, a trade connected with silversmithing. He worked with Francis Parsons from 1810-1814. I haven't been able to verify that he was related to B. Goss, but since they were apprenticed within five years of each other, it's likely that they were brothers.

This is from a local newspaper in September 1814: “Notice is hereby given, that the partnership lately subsisting between Joseph Goss and Francis Allen Parsons, of the city of Exeter, Working Silversmiths, was this day dissolved by mutual consent. All persons having claims on the said partnership, are requested to deliver their accounts to Joseph Goss, at his house on Northenhay.

Miles

Return to “Exeter Hallmarks”