Help with late 18th century tongs

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rat-tail
contributor

Help with late 18th century tongs

Post by rat-tail »

Hi guys - not sure, but think these are Exeter. A set of light tongs with unusual nips and sort of shaped ends - they're only marked with a duty mark an a rubbed lion passant - no maker's mark, not even in the bowls. There is a monogram at the back which stylistically confirms late C18. Seem to think that this lion with the paw coming out of his head might be Exeter. If anyone can narrow it down further - would appreciate it. I can try to get better pictures in natural light. - thanks Frank

Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

They are Exeter, and an unusual design. Pity there's no maker's mark.

You might find this article interesting:
http://www.925-1000.com/a_exeterlions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Miles
rat-tail
contributor

Post by rat-tail »

Hi Miles - Many thanks for confirming the marks as Exeter. it was you excellent article on the lions passant of Exeter that alerted me to the fact this could be an Exeter piece. Like your description as the letter box lion. As you say, that's about as far as we'll get identifying with this pair of tongs. I suppose a rough date guide would be 1786 to 1797 - late C18. Besides, much later and tongs would start becoming much heavier and more robust. Appreciate your detailed research. Regards Frank

Return to “Exeter Hallmarks”