Obitury taken from 'The Gentleman's Magazine' - 1846, regarding John Tingcombe, the inheritor of the banking business.
July 8th in his 81st year, John Tingcombe, Esq., of Greenwich. Descended from one of the Two Thousand ministers (there were indeed three of that name among them, then written Tincombe), who, in the year 1662, made such a noble sacrifice of interest to principle, he inherited, and through his long life zealously adhered to, the profession and practice of Nonconformity. He was devout, pious, a firm Unitarian and decided advocate of civil and religious liberty. He was one of the few surviving pupils of Dr. Estlin, of Bristol, so well known formerly in the West of England. In his early life, he succeeded his father as a partner in the bankinghouse of Sir W. Elford and Co. at Plymouth, which was one of the first firms that succumbed in the disastrous year of 1825. Deprived by this event of his property, he never resumed business, but lived with a dear sister who was attached to the same cause, and who attained to almost the same age as he did. His three daughters were with him when he died, to whom he said, "We shall meet again in the kingdom of heaven." W. W.
The listing of bankruptcies in the 'London Gazette' in 1825, list the bank's directors as: Sir William Elford. Bart., J. Tincomb and J.W. Clarke.
From the 'History of Plymouth: from the earliest period to the present time' By Richard Nicholls Worth - 1890:
The first Plymouth Bank was established in 1772, by Barings, Lee, Sellon, and Tingcombe; the second, the Naval Bank, in 1773, by Harris, Turner, and Herbert. The former, the Plymouth Bank (then Elford, Tingcombe, and Clark), stopped payment in 1825, which caused widespread suffering.
Details of Sir William Elford, taken from 'The Dictionary of National Biography', Volume 6 - 1908.
ELFORD, Sir WILLIAM (1749-1837), banker, politician, and amateur artist, of Bickham, Buckland Monachorun), Devonshire, born in August 1749, was the elder son of the Rev. Lancelot Elford of Bickham, and Grace, daughter of Alexander Wills of Kingsbridge, Devonshire. His family was one of the oldest in the west of England. He was a partner in the banking firm at Plymouth of Elford. Tingcombe, & Clerk, and was connected in many capacities with the same town. He was mayor of Plymouth in 1797, and recorder from 1798 to February 1833. In politics a tory, he was M.P. for Plymouth from 1796 to 1806, when he was defeated, and brought an unsuccessful petition against his antagonist, Sir C. M. Pole, bart. In July 1807 he was elected M.P. for Rye. but resigned his seat in July 1808. He was lieutenant-colonel of the South Devon militia, and in that capacity accompanied his regiment to Ireland during the Irish rebellion, 1798-9. On 29 Nov. 1800 he was created a baronet. He lived the latter part of his life at the Priory, Totnes, and was recorder of that borough for some years. He died at that place on 30 Nov. 1837, aged 89, and was buried in the parish church, where there is a tablet to his memory. Elford was a friend of William Pitt the younger; frequently visited Bath, where he was noted as a whist-player; was acquainted with many of the leading literary characters and artists of his day; possessed considerable scientific attainments, and in 1790 was elected fellow of the Royal Society and the Linnean Society. A few years before his death he published the results of his investigations as to a substitute for common yeast, and his discoveries excited some attention. Elford was also an artist of great excellence; he was a constant contributor to the Royal Academy exhibitions from 1774 to 1837, and his pictures were marked by great taste and good draughtsmanship. The last exhibited by him was painted in his eighty-ninth year. There are two watercolour sketches by him in the print room at the British Museum. His most important picture was' The White Lady of Avenel,' exhibited in 1823, and now in the possession of his grandson, Colonel Henry Cranstoun Adams of Lion House, Exmouth, and Crapstone, Buckland Monachomm. There is a landscape by Elford at Windsor Castle, which he presented to the prince regent in 1819, and he also presented pictures painted by himself to the university of Oxford and to many of his friends. Elford was twice married; his first wife was Mary, daughter and heiress of the Rev. John Davies of Plympton, who died in 1817, leaving one son, Jonathan Elford. who was M. P. for Westbury for a few months in 1820, married and died in 1823 without issue, and two daughters, Grace Chard, died unmarried 24 Feb. 1856, and Elizabeth, who became the wife of General Sir George Pownoll Adams, K.C.H.; his second wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Humphrey Hall of Manadon, and widow of Lieutenant-colonel Walrond. At Elford's death the baronetcy became extinct. James Northcote, R.A., was an intimate friend of the Elford family, and painted numerous portraits of them, most of which, with others, belong to his grandson, Colonel H.C. Adams, at Exmouth.
From 'The Naval chronicle', Volume 1 - 1799, an undated snippet in the 'Marriages' section:
At Plymouth, Mr. Welsford, purser of his Majesty's ship Pompee, to Miss Tingcombe, eldest daughter of Mr. J. T. goldsmith, of that place.