maker and year if possible

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
boroboy

maker and year if possible

Post by boroboy »

Hi friends I have a little silver basket just over 2ins longand 1and a1/2ins wide, I dont know what it is I have been to the hallmarks page and I have identified it as chester but the date letter n has threw me there are 2 quite alike on the page not sure if it is one of these 2, the makers mark is worn in one corner it looks like a shield something d and underneath wd, any help to identify the year and maker would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance.
Tony
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Hi Tony,

You should always look at the style of the piece if you're not sure. Your date letter N looks like the 1809 and the 1896 N. This piece could never be mistaken for Georgian, so it must be 1896. Also if it were the earlier date, there would be another mark of George III's bust.
The maker's mark is James and William Deakin.
As for the object itself; could it be a salt or mustard dish? If so, there will be a little ledge inside for a glass inner to rest on.

Miles
boroboy

Post by boroboy »

Hi Miles many thanks for the info I learn a little more everytime yes there is a little ledge inside so it must be what you said again many thanks.
Tony

Return to “Chester Hallmarks”