Cosmentic compact lid Possible Chester hallmark Identification needed

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
firie000

Cosmentic compact lid Possible Chester hallmark Identification needed

Post by firie000 »

This is a lid possibly from a cosmetic compact case. It was excavated at Bowning, NSW, Australia.
I would appreciate any help with identifying the hallmarks.
The maker's mark appears to be AB with the number 51 as a separate stamp beneath it (second image).
The triangular mark appears to be the Chester city mark and the lion I believe is the Sterling Silver Standard mark (third image)
Is the O or zero with diagonal line a date mark (second image)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Kindest regards,

Michael Thompson

Waylander
co-admin

Re: Cosmentic compact lid Possible Chester hallmark Identification needed

Post by Waylander »

Gday Michael

Welcome to the Forums.

Date wise, you're looking at 1877 - check out Phil's page here (http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Date ... -1883.html) and click on the link for 1877. You'll see the match is identical, including the (somewhat odd) link marking through the "o" date letter.

As for the maker - AB (probably with a pellet in between I reckon, given the space between the A and what is presumably a B) isn't a maker known to me. Phil's page has a mark for A <pellet> B attributed to Waltham Watch Co, but fairly sure Waltham were specific to watches and scientific/precision instruments.

I'm sure one of the other (more knowledgeable) members of the Forums will be able to shed more light on your find.

Cheers

Waylander
firie000

Post by firie000 »

Thanks, Waylander.
I appreciate your prompt reply! 1877 is fairly old for an Aussie metal detecting find.
One more question: Is the hallmark proof of the metal quality or could the item be silver plated?
Regards,
Mick
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Hi Mick
Yes, it is sterling silver. Assayed/tested by the hallmarking office (Chester) - hence the lion hall mark (Lion Passant).
Waylander
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

You don't show a full picture of the inside of the lid so I am wondering if it is perhaps not a lid at all but the back of a watch case - in which case (no pun intended) Alfred Bedford seems a very good fit for the initials.

Two other pointers towards it being part of a watch case are (a) the configuration of the marks and (b) the lack of a duty mark (no duty was payable on watch cases but would have been required for a vanity jar lid).

The maker would therefore be the Waltham Watch Company who first registered their AB mark at Chester on 16 September 1876. Alfred Bedford was the company's British manager.

Phil
firie000

Post by firie000 »

Hi Phil,
Thanks for replying. I have attached an inside view of the lid. As you can see the AB is not very clear and the 51 is barely discernible below that.
The cosmetic lid theory came up because I found a product labelled lid to a compact close by of a similar size.
Anyway, I hope this pic helps in identifying the maker. I really do appreciate yours and Waylander's time.

Regards

Mick

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Yes, it's definitely the back of a watch case - you can see, at the bottom of your picture, the place where the hinge attached. So it is therefore definitely Alfred Bedford of the Waltham Watch Company.

Phil
firie000

Post by firie000 »

My sincere thanks to you both got your help!
Kindest regards.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

firie000

Post by firie000 »

Thanks Trev,
You bloke certainly know your stuff! Much appreciated.
The only mystery now is the 51 below the Alfred Bedford's mark.

Return to “Chester Hallmarks”