Strange year mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Qrt.S
contributor

Strange year mark

Post by Qrt.S »

Hello and greetings from the Russian sites,

Mind my asking but I'm not so familiar with English silver but more with Russian silver. However, I recently came across this jewellery box (?) Its diameter is 75 mm. It seems to carry Chester's town mark and made by C.C. To my understanding that is Colen Hewer Cheshire in Birmingham even if the box is assayed in Chester. C.C registered in Chester in 28.11.1894 but again in 3.7.1904 and 9.12.1907. All the registered marks look very similar, so why register three times? You can see the marks on the rim in the middle of the box photo. Anyway, what puzzles me is the year mark. What year is it supposed to be this M in script? I have my thoughts but kindly tell me yours. Thank you in advance.

I'm lost in the jungle of silver marks :-)

Image Image
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Strange year mark

Post by dognose »

Hi Qrt.S,

The year of assay was 1912. Was it the shape of the shield that you were wondering about? If so, as from 1900, there were two shapes used for the dateletter punch, your example, and one with an indented base with a point that is often the one illustrated on dateletter charts.

The Chester Office was a popular choice for assay by many of the Birmingham makers. Some of the Birmingham makers had at one time a poor reputation for the quality of their wares and the better manufacturers sent their work to Chester so as to not to be associated with shoddy goods.

Why so many registrations? Well in theory marks should be re-registered whenever there is a change in circumstance. Any change in the punch itself, style, size, etc.. A change in ownership of the business, or a change of address etc., all call for the records to updated.

Regards Trev.
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Strange year mark

Post by Qrt.S »

Hi Trev.

Yes it was the shape of the shield. I thought it was 1912 but then the shape made me wondering. Well, as you know my cup of tea is Russian and Scandinavian silver. Thank you for the information.

Return to “Chester Hallmarks”