Smith & Bartlam - Birmingham & Chester

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
westcott

Smith & Bartlam - Birmingham & Chester

Post by westcott »

This came up last in August '07 (Tongtwister replied), but is it now known if Smith & Bartlam had two marks? The standard I knew was a central circle with a fusil either side - this as you see is three fusils. Can it possibly be anyone else?

Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Well, I must say I've never seen that version before, but I would think it's unlikely to be anyone else. Smith & Bartlam made a lot of vestas and they also worked during the period in which your item was made.

Miles
MCB

Post by MCB »

Edward E Smith & William Bartlam of Regent Parade, Caroline Street, Birmingham registered this mark at Chester office in March 1905, the one with the central circle having been registered in February of the same year (Ridgway & Priestley on Chester Marks).

Mike
westcott

Smith & Bartlam

Post by westcott »

Mike and Miles, I'm obliged to you. The focus of my interest has been Birmingham, but clearly there was overlap with Chester. May I have details of this Ridgeway & Priestly reference - assuming it is available.
Sincerely. graham
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Graham,
The full title of the book is "The Compendium of Chester Gold & Silver Marks 1570-1962" by Maurice H Ridgway & Philip T Priestley published by Antique Collectors' Club Ltd of Woodbridge Suffolk IP12 4SI.
Not only is there a comprehensive listing of Chester makers' marks but because Birmingham makers often used the other office the book is a useful guide to these marks too.
Regards,
Mike

Return to “Chester Hallmarks”