19C Dutch Mystery Pendant

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
fashion.fashoff

19C Dutch Mystery Pendant

Post by fashion.fashoff »

This recent find is a circa mid-19C silver pendant of cast construction.
The front appears to depict a figure wearing a turban and holding something. In the background is what appears to be a palm tree. The design of the front has a rather architectural feel.
The back is plain except for engraved letters YYHV. The engraving isn't terribly refined. These are perhaps the original owner's initials.
The front is stamped with a Dutch hallmark and the back has what might be a tax mark, but it is worn or partially struck.
About 2 1/2" long.

Can anybody tell me anything more about this piece? Such as what the scene depicts, what the pendant might have been used for (it seems a bit large and clunky to be just a lady's pendant), or any other interesting thoughts?

Thank you!

oel
co-admin

Re: 19C Dutch Mystery Pendant

Post by oel »

Hi, perhaps a watch fob. Assay office mark mark regional assay office letter C for The Hague used 1814-1906, the maker's mark is unclear. Please check for year letter and standard mark.
My thoughts the scene could depict a Moriaan /Moor with hanging Incense burner or refer to Judaism Ner Tamid Eternal Flame.
YYHV could refer to the books of SHIUR QOMAH/ Hebrew bible.

Peter.
fashion.fashoff

Post by fashion.fashoff »

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your reply.
I looked very closely and was unable to locate the year letter or standard mark. The only marks on the piece are the two I've shown.
Thank you for the great suggestions regarding the Judaic connections. I did think the piece looked religious when I saw it, but it is not my area of expertise.
I looked into the Shi'ur Komah a little bit and from what I can gather, it looks like "YYHV" is a secret name of God, or part thereof. Does this sound correct?
Does the shape of the "frame" on the front resemble any particular architecture that you recognize? The opening seems to be rather like a capital "i" with decorative columns on the side. It looks like a window of some kind to me.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, yes I believe so. For your reference;

Sefer Raziel HaGadol Book of (the Angelic Secrets of) Raziel the Great One; On His forehead is inscribed:
YYHV HY HV YH
HH HY VYHV YH YHV
YVH HA HH YA YHVH
VYH HH YH HV HA
AH VVH AY HV HYH
HY YYY HH YYHYY VYH

http://www.workofthechariot.com/TextFil ... rQoma.html

The letter ɪ; Zayin (also spelled zain or zayn or simply zay) is the seventh letter of the Semitic abjads, including Phoenician Zayin Phoenician zayin.svg, Hebrew 'Zayin ז‬, Yiddish Zoyen ז‬, Aramaic Zain Zayin.svg, Syriac Zayn ܙ, and Arabic Zayn or Zāy. The Phoenician letter appears to be named after a sword or other weapon. In Biblical Hebrew, zayin (זין‬) means "sword", and the verb lezayen (לזיין‬) means "to arm", ("armed struggle" armed forces).
In this case perhaps symbolic to protect the everlasting light; And thou shalt command the children of Israel, that they bring thee pure oil olive beaten for the light, to cause the lamp to burn always. In the tabernacle of the congregation without the veil, which is before the testimony, Aaron and his sons shall order it from evening to morning before the LORD: it shall be a statute for ever unto their generations on the behalf of the children of Israel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_lamp

Best,

Peter

Return to “Dutch Silver”