Dutch/Indonesian Demitasse Spoon & Fork set

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ravd

Dutch/Indonesian Demitasse Spoon & Fork set

Post by ravd »

Hello,
Will you please help to identify this decorative flatware set? The spoons and forks are approx. 4.5 inches long, with brightcut etching. I bought them a while back from an eBay seller who said they were from Holland. As far as I can tell, they show strong signs of Javanese/Indonesian Yogya-style influence.
The marks on the back appear to read "POB", with an additional sword-like mark.

I'd like to know the maker, and the silver content if possible. Thanks in advance for your help!

oel
co-admin

Re: Dutch/Indonesian Demitasse Spoon & Fork set

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

In Dutch we call it Zilveren Koffielepel en Taartvork. In English Silver Coffee spoon and Pastry fork. No Javanese/Indonesian Yogya-style influence. Style; twisted stem, Biedemeier decoration, finial design; hanekam/rooster crest
The maker's mark PO8 for; Fa. (firm) P. van Oostrom & Zoon (Son), registered with this particular mark in the city of Schoonhoven 1926-1941. The maker's mark of the firm of Oostrom & Son ended in 2000.
The Sword mark; standard mark for; small work silver minimum 833 fineness= 83.3% pure silver and used on small work without date letter and office mark and in combination with maker's mark. See:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028

Peter.

Return to “Dutch Silver”