dutch marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
blonde_minx

dutch marks

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi,

I have this silver snuff box in the form of a tea caddy, i believe it to be dutch but would anyone out there have any idea what the marks are to the base, it also has minerva's head to the top and import marks to the body, thanks in advance

oel
co-admin

Re: dutch marks

Post by oel »

Dutch pseudo marks.
For more information see; Fa.(Firm) H. Hooijkaas 1874-2008; Zilverfabriek Schoonhoven :
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 590#p71003

Best,

Peter
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi I have been doing some research on this site and have found out a little myself, the sailboat or ship is an imitation of a master’s mark. The Amsterdam guild mark consist of three pole-wise placed Andreas crosses. The one on my box consist of two Andreas crosses crowned an imitation mark of the Amsterdam city guild mark.

The fancy letter H is an imitation of a date letter.

So this is an old ship or pseudo maker's mark, pseudo city mark for Amsterdam, H pseudo date letter and also an export mark

Hopefully i've got this right.

There is an import mark for Sheffield 1897 so at least i can date this lovely box, i will see if i can find any other marks as it does have the Minerva head to the top
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Thank you Oel,

Very helpful link

Mandy
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Your welcome, try if you can recognize the regional assay office letter in the Minerva head. It could be the letter M for Schoonhoven.

Peter.
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi Peter

I have had a close look and you are right the Minerva head does have the letter M

Thank you for your help

Mandy

Return to “Dutch Silver”