A Dutch inkwell

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
amena
contributor

A Dutch inkwell

Post by amena »

I found this inkwell, which, unfortunately, lacks one of the glasses.

Hallmarks appears to be Dutch of the year 1863, but I can not find out the silversmith.
Can someone help me
Thanks
Amena
oel
co-admin

Re: A Dutch inkwell

Post by oel »

Hi Amena,

Impressive ink stand. Makers mark GB above a mammoth for: G.F. Bauer ( Bauer n.v., Utrechtse Zilverwerkfabriek),registered in Utrecht from 1862/1868
Office mark/Minerva head with regional assay office letter B for the city of Utrecht.

History
In 1856 G.F.W. Bauer established the firm S. and J. van Lier en Bauer (tent.cat. 1975 and 1960); in 1862 the company was named N.V. Utrechtsche Fabriek van Zilverwerken. In 1866 Bauer was dismissed and C.J. Begeer took over the management of 'Utrechtsche Fabriek van Zilverwerken van C.J. Begeer', also known as Fa. C.J. Begeer, until his death in 1879. That same year his brother Anthonie became an associate in the firm and he was able to expand the company. Anthonie's stepson Cornelis L.J. Begeer (son of C.J. Begeer) who worked as a chef in the company from 1888 on, started his own company in 1903. Anthonie's sons Carel J.A. Begeer (1883-1956) and Anton Begeer (1885-1957) became partners in 1908 and continued the company after their fathers death in 1910. In 1919 the firm merged with J.M. van Kempen & Zonen and Jac. Vos & Co. (Begeer 1975, p. 13); the new name was Koninklijke Nederlandsche Edelmetaal Bedrijven Van Kempen, Begeer & Vos N.V.

“De Koninklijke Utrechtse Fabriek van Zilverwerken” is a Dutch company in Zoetermeer dedicated to the Art of Silver & Goldsmithing. In 1866 G.F.J. Bauer, the founder of the “Utrechtsche Zilverfabriek S. and J. van Lier & Zn and G.F.W Bauer “, was succeeded by Carel Joseph Begeer (1840-1879) and a little later the factory changed its name to: 'Utrechtse Fabriek van Zilverwerken C.J. Begeer'(in 1868)
For more see;
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28590

Best,

Peter
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Chapeau !
And many thanks, of course.
Amena
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Amena,thanks. Your image enhanced and cropped;

It is always good to double check. Herewith the drawing of Bauer's registered maker's mark, made by an official of the assay office and yes I do know I have a vivid imagination, I thought to rekognize a mammoth like creature below GB.

However either the assay office artist had a bad day when it made the drawing of Bauer's mark or had a few drinks too many because this is how the maker's mark of Bauer looks like;
GB above some kind of animal head.

Cheers,

Peter
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hi Peter
I cleaned the mark and photographed it from different angles.
It seems to me a bit different from what you posted. Maybe it's a variation.

Best
Amena
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Thanks Amena, yes one variation of the marks used by Bauer's silver factory.

Best,

Peter
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hi Peter
Photographing hallmarks is always a tricky matter, so I made a device to try to get better photos.
It does not really improve the sharpness of the image, but it allows me to go closer to the marks without shading them with the black plastic part around the lens.
I have tested this device by photographing the maker mark of the ink stand, which is somewhat difficult to reach.
I have obtained this picture, where it is well seen that the second letter is not a B, but an A or, at most, an R.

What do you think about it?
Best
Amena
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Amena,

Yes images can be deceiving and I believe it to be a worn punch mark of G.F. Bauer. I checked for the other options, taken the date and assay office into consideration but I can not find a better match.
My conclusion the ink stand is made by Bauer in 1863 and assayed in Utrecht.

Best,

Peter
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thank you so much again, Peter
Best regards
Amena

Return to “Dutch Silver”