Dutch Strainer Spoon? Unknown Maker.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GWF

Dutch Strainer Spoon? Unknown Maker.

Post by GWF »

Hi. I have something that has stumped me for a while. It is an 8" Spoon marked Holland on the front of the bowl. There is also the letter B (date for 1836 or 1911?) and a couple different animals (one near the house the other near the letter) the latter of which I believe is a Lion rampant. I don't see any makers mark anywhere on the spoon and I'm at a loss as to what it would have been used for as its rather large and the bowl isn't solid like with most spoons. Any help on clarifying when it was made, why and maybe even who made it would be fantastic.

oel
co-admin

Re: Dutch Strainer Spoon? Unknown Maker.

Post by oel »

Hi welcome to the forum,

Yes, Dutch hallmarks see:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028
Year letter B for 1911, lion passant above 2: standard mark silver .833 fineness (1814-1953) with export key: mark to indicate 2/3 duty restitution upon export valid 1853 till 1953.
I believe, if you clean the wet fruit spoon, somewhere under the black residue you will find an office mark (Minerva head) and a little maker’s mark, both marks could be spread over the object.
Tip; clean with warm water and soap, use a little silver polish with a soft toothbrush to remove the black tarnish, and finish of with warm water and soap and check for the two missing marks.

Oel.

Return to “Dutch Silver”