Strange bowl with 'o-o' symbol

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JamieB

Strange bowl with 'o-o' symbol

Post by JamieB »

Hello,

This strange bowl-like object has been in my family for generations. We were only ever told it was 'very very old'. I've been able to date a few silver bits and bobs here and there, but this one has me stumped.

I'm no expert, but from what I can gather it's not of Engligh origin. The two symbols which are really throwing me are the 'o-o' and what looks like maybe a sword or some kind of 't'. I checked and I couldn't really find an exact match on that 't' shape, and the lack of a lion or any kind of Britannia mark is what made me think it's not English.

Perhaps Russian? I noticed the '/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\' mark next to the first 'D' on a few old Russian pieces.

If anyone can shed any light on what it's origins and date could be I'd be very interested in hearing what you have to say!
oel
co-admin

Re: Strange bowl with 'o-o' symbol

Post by oel »

Hi,

Dutch pseudo/fantasy marks made late 19th early 20th century. D imitation year letter (57), the flower another imitation of master's mark( 411), 'glasses' imitation of a master's mark (445), In this case the vvvvvv or zig zag mark is not made by the assayer to check the silver standard but to pretend the bowl could have been made during the time of the silver guilds.

Reference (57),(445), (411), (224): Valse Zilvermerken in Nederland K.A. Citroen ISBN 90-352-1058-1
Below another variation of those pseudo/imitation marks;

Oel.
JamieB

Re: Strange bowl with 'o-o' symbol

Post by JamieB »

Hmm, very interesting! Thanks for getting back to me on this : )

Return to “Dutch Silver”