Dutch Silver Marks On A Buckle

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Pooka

Dutch Silver Marks On A Buckle

Post by Pooka »

Hello,

I have a nice Dutch buckle with a single sword mark which I think denotes the period 1814-1905. There seems to be a maker's mark or town mark above the sword but it is too convoluted for me to decipher. However there is a mystery mark of "2vG" which can be seen clearly but all my research on here and elsewhere has not found any info on this. Can anyone help with these marks? Many thanks if you can.

ps I've tried my best to load the the two pictures onto this actual page but I'm finding it confusing. When I follow the instructions the pictures don't appear and I get a message "Your images may only be up to 1000 pixels wide." So I've providing links to the pictures. Sorry for this.

Greg
oel
co-admin

Re: Dutch Silver Marks On A Buckle

Post by oel »

Hi Greg,

Welcome to the forum. For uploading images see:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282
Silver buckle frame.
Sword mark; standard mark for small work minimum 833/1000 fineness, this particular sword mark used 1814-1905. Together with the 1865 weight indication mark used 1865-1905, there should be a number in it. Multiply the number by five to obtain the gross weight in grams. The weight indication mark gives no guarantee by itself, but always occurs in combination with hallmarks or duty marks. I believe to recognize the number 2 in your weight indication mark= 10 grams.
The maker's mark 2vG is not recorded as such but some assume it to be an unregistered maker's mark of; Fa. E.A. van Gelder & Zonen, active during the last part of the 19th century- early 20th century, located in the city of Amsterdam.

Oel.
Pooka

Re: Dutch Silver Marks On A Buckle

Post by Pooka »

Thankyou Oel for the info on the buckle.

Re uploading an image, thanks for the instructions. In the past I have deleted all my images after I feel I have had my queries answered but in future I'll just let them stay there (makes sense!). However I have seen posts with pictures in the actual post itself and was really wondering how to do this?

Greg.

Return to “Dutch Silver”