Dutch Silver Mythological Teaset SOO Many Hallmarks Help?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Antiquiry

Dutch Silver Mythological Teaset SOO Many Hallmarks Help?

Post by Antiquiry »

I have this small tea set. I have tried researching the hallmarks and they seem to be conflicting. It's a gorgeous set, with different mythological faces on every side of each piece. The underside of each lid is also marked with the Fish and A8 marks. (Very small)
I'm looking for a maker and a possible year? I appreciate any help. Either way, I LOVE this set. I appreciate any information. Thank you!
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
[/img]
oel
co-admin

Re: Dutch Silver Mythological Teaset SOO Many Hallmarks Help

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

your image
Dutch pseudo/fake or so called fantasy mark.
For Dutch hallmarks see:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028
For Dutch maker’s marks and pseudo marks see:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28590
Turn of the 19th century antique silver with the old guild marks are in high demand at home and abroad. Some well-known Dutch silversmiths applied pseudo or fantasy marks, as part of the decoration, to give their silver work an antique look and with proper Dutch (hall) marks and maker's mark.
RS above 2 for: Jans Rinze Spaanstra registered in the cities of Drachten/Wommels/Berlicum(Frisian) and Nijehaske from around 1843 till 1896. Known to have used those particular set of pseudo marks see: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 568#p85568
Seen on spoons, the well known pseudo marks; VB and MC both pseudo maker‘s mark, single headed eagle pseudo city mark for Deventer.

Please check your tea set for proper Dutch marks and a maker's mark, these marks could be tiny and spread over the item.
I believe I do recognize a Dutch tax mark:
The Dolphin mark
The Dutch dolphin mark; the 1859 duty mark for new unguaranteed objects of national origin. This mark was used on all new silver objects below legal standard of fineness, those with non-precious metal additions, and on new heavily gold or silver plated objects, as long as the average precious metal content after melting with the base metal was at least 250/1000. It was also struck on rejected objects which had been submitted at lowest standard of fineness. In that case the maker had to choose between destruction or ‘unguaranteed’ marking. This mark was sometimes also mistakenly used on old and foreign objects. Dolphin mark used from 1859-1893 and valid from 1859 till 1953.

Oel
Antiquiry

Post by Antiquiry »

Thank you, Oel. I did find an AV with a B in a hexagon. Does this help? Is my item silver?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Could you show us an image of the mark(s), macro function good digital camera.

Oel.
Antiquiry

Post by Antiquiry »

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

A better clear enhanced image of the mark(?) would be needed.

Oel.
Antiquiry

Post by Antiquiry »

Austro-Hungarian Import: AV and B in Hexagon (admin edit)
This is exactly what the mark looks like.
I'm so confused. I don't even know which country it was made in, if it's a silver set, etc. It appears to have that"German" look with Bacchus in many forms, but it has all the dutch marks on the bottom.
The smaller marks are in discreet places, under the rim of the lids, on the edge of the creamer, etc.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

For comparison only:

Yes, it appears to be the Austria Hungary Empire import mark. The tea set is most probably made in the Netherlands, the dolphin tax mark indicates the tea set has been rejected for hallmarking because below Dutch legal minimum of 833, however the Austria Hungary Empire used a legal minimum 3rd and 4th standard; 800 & 750 or 80 & 75% pure silver used. See:

http://www.925-1000.com/Faustria_02.html

Oel.

Return to “Dutch Silver”