Dutch Tea Coffee Set

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
robm24

Dutch Tea Coffee Set

Post by robm24 »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I think I've come across a bit of a gem here, although I'm looking for some confirmation.

I don't have much experience with Dutch silver, but from a bit of research I think I can name ID most of the marks, but I'm not entirely sure of what they all mean.

Anyway, this is the set, Coffee Pot, Teapot (with removable straining section), Burner, Milk Jug, Sugar Bowl and, I believe, Match Holder.

All the pieces are a bit randomly marked, as I think I should now expect from Dutch silver, but all seem to have these marks on the base.
Now from the great maker marks database on zilver.nl I found a maker who used ZZ with a hammer, E. Schoorl / G. Schoorl-Peetoom Zaanlandse Zilversmederij, but there was no image available to confirm this. Also there is the the Lion Passant for .833.

Next there is the Minerva head with an A, this features less regularly on the pieces, (or so I've found) and I believe the A is Amsterdam.

And finally the mark that is troubling me the most. Is this the date stamp for 1852? The other option is 1928 and I just cant see this as an Art Deco piece.

Any help verifying/correcting/helping! is much appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Rob
salmoned
contributor

Re: Dutch Tea Coffee Set

Post by salmoned »

Art Deco is not a date, it's a style. Any style previously established can be continued into later periods, including the present and future.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Salmoned,

Welcome to the forum. You have answered yourself all your questions but I can add a little about Zaanlandse Zilversmederij with outlets/workshops/factories in Amsterdam and later in Haarlem. They were famous for silver with Old Dutch scenes and silverware copies of older famous styles. Zaanlandse founded in 1875 by Gerardus Schoorl(1848-1915) in Zaandijk. Around the turn of the 19th century Antique Dutch silver was in high demand and Gerardus Schoorl became an active supplier. Zaanlandse Zilversmederij became famous for Old Dutch style silverware and turned into a family owned business. The Zaanlandse Zilversmederij ‘s factory closed its doors in 1973 and the company ceased to exist in 1990.
I believe your tea set is in the neo- rococo style made in1928.
Herewith a copy of the maker’s mark of Zaanlandse registered 1920/1990

Regards,

Oel
robm24

Post by robm24 »

Thank you salmoned for helping,

But mostly thanks oel, that is the confirmation I was looking for and its great to see the makers mark confirmed. I was hoping you would reply as you seem to be a great source of knowledge on this forum, thanks for settling my doubts. I think I have a lot to learn about Dutch silver.

Return to “Dutch Silver”