dutch silver spoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Rayvenini

dutch silver spoons

Post by Rayvenini »

Looking for the date and the maker, I know it has 1845 on them could this be the date they were made or is it to commemorate something in the past? I think the markers mark is GvW 4, the top of the spoon on the front is dated 1845 and not on the back.. I've just re-found these spoons in the attic so any information is appreciated ..set of 6 tea spoons all the same

Margaux
contributor

Dutch silver spoons

Post by Margaux »

GvW4 - Gebr. van Wezel in Amsterdam 1936-1943
This sword figure was used voor silver item between 1906 and 1953
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

"Je Maintiendrai," "I will maintain," is the motto of the House of Orange and Nassau, the Royal Family of the Netherlands and Coat of Arms of the Netherland.
This coat of Arms has been used as logo by ‘De Nederlanden ‘an insurance company founded in 1845. Later by various merges it became ING. Your spoons might have been made to commemorate one of those merger events.

Regards,

Oel
Natishalovings39

Re: dutch silver spoons

Post by Natishalovings39 »

Hey i have the same spoons passed down from my great..... To my mom to me. My set is of 4. Did you get any info by and chance?
oel
co-admin

Re: dutch silver spoons

Post by oel »

Hi welcome to the forum. What kind of extra information you are looking for? Please show us an image of your spoons and one with all marks.
For the Dutch hallmarks see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028

Peter.

Return to “Dutch Silver”