Dutch made sterling silver pill box.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
crystal4me

Dutch made sterling silver pill box.

Post by crystal4me »

I recently acquired a small pill box of 835 sterling with the marks as follows:
*H.H* 835 in a circle and a stamp of a sword with the numbers 835 printed in the middle of the sword which ID's it as Dutch but I don't know the maker and when it was made. I have put a good deal of time into research on this little box and now I have to ask kindly for your help. Thanks so much. Brad.

Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

It is probably made by Hooykaas in Schoonhoven. The sword with the 835 means that it was made after 1953.

Hope that helped.
crystal4me

Dutch made pill box, who made it please

Post by crystal4me »

Thank you so much but can you tell me what HH means? I found out all I could using the sword as my guide as it was the only thing on any of the sterling sites that showed up in regards to the box I'm researching if that sounds right. I am dealing with a very bad cold and haven't had the energy to do any further searches. Thanks. again. God Bless. Regards Brad.
PS: why is it that 835 is such a odd mixture and not used much? or is it I'm just to new to this and haven't seen very many items using this type of sterling? I would think that 835 would be older from what I have found out, which is unfortunately not much.
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

HH is the mark of the maker (Hendrik Hooykaas). The 835 is the rounded new standard of what used to be 833 parts of silver (1000 parts is pure silver). Historically it comes from when we used strange measurements like grains etc. instead of the decimal standard.
crystal4me

Dutch made pill box, who made it please

Post by crystal4me »

Thanks to all for your help, that answered my question and I appreciate it very much. I still don't know the date to get it down to exacts but that's ok I appreciate the info you have provided me with and I have a few other pieces I have put a great deal of time into and still can't find the makers for them although I do know there origin, the date and the maker seem to be the hardest to find and my eyes aren't what they used to be, as far as that goes nothing else is either HA. God Bless All. Thanks. Cheers, Regards Brad.

Return to “Dutch Silver”