Pill box with two sponsor/retail marks?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Pill box with two sponsor/retail marks?

Post by SilverK »

This pill box appears to have two sponsor marks on it, something I haven't seen on a Dutch piece before. One is undoubtedly a maker's mark, but perhaps the other is a retailer's mark? Hopefully someone can cast some light onto them. Unfortunately, one of the marks is so poorly stamped that it's difficult to photograph, so I've provided two versions of it. It looks like a Z over K, with a knife to the right hand side. The other looks like G dog or lion symbol G. Obviously, this was assayed in Amsterdam, 1835. Any info is gratefully received!

oel
co-admin

Re: Pill box with two sponsor/retail marks?

Post by oel »

Hi SilverK,

Herewith an other example of this unknown retailers or maker’s mark (?); G Sphinx /Lion G, herewith double struck on a loderein ( lodderein or odelarein) box , with the silversmiths mark; G. over 28 for Dirk Hendrik Greup Sr, registered in Schoonhoven from 1837-1864.

Please note; Dirk Hendrik Greup’s mark has been partly struck over the assay office mark and this could indicate he struck his mark after the box has been assayed and I have seen his maker's mark struck over an other maker's mark.

Date letter T for the year 1853, and the office mark, Minerva Head regional assay office letter M for Schoonhoven

Your image:

Yes, I agree the date letter A for the year 1835, The office mark, Minerva head has the regional assay office letter A in its helmet for assay office Amsterdam.

The maker's mark rotated:

Maker's mark (worn); NK under a fish (pointing left or right) for; Jacob Nicolaas Kramer, registered in Amsterdam 1826/1853 with a total of eight variations of this maker's mark's see:

Unfortunately the Sphinx mark is still unknown but we are still working on it!

Best,

Oel
SilverK
contributor

Re: Pill box with two sponsor/retail marks?

Post by SilverK »

What an extremely comprehensive and authoritative reply. Thanks very much indeed oel! I should have spotted that Kramer's mark could have been rotated, but I still wouldn't have been able to identify it :) Shame the G sphynx G mark isn't yet identified.

Return to “Dutch Silver”