Nathaniel Mills or Not

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
oel
co-admin

Nathaniel Mills or Not

Post by oel »

Hi,

Found this for sale. I never have seen a Nathaniel Mills Castle top silver basket before. It has an engraved view of Buckingham Palace on the base, the sides embossed with scrolls and flowers. According to the seller; Nathaniel Mills, Birmingham, 1850. 6" (15.2cm) diameter, 4.25" (10.8cm) high, 2.9 troy ounces (90.75g).
Looking at the basket and the marks I am getting suspecious and I believe the marks are fake, the quality poor and made yesterday.
Like to hear your opinion.

Peter
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Nathaniel Mills or Not

Post by dognose »

Hi Peter,

It's always difficult to judge from photos alone, but initially I see nothing of concern.

Are there any signs of wear at all?

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Trev, I am judging looking at the two same images. To me the lion passant and the head of Victoria do not look right, the oval shield of Victoria is weird.
I compare with:
http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Date ... -1874.html

Peter.
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Hi

The circular piece with the castle top engraving looks like it has been made separately and added to the basket. If this is the case has it been mounted like a coin, or is it soldered in at the back?

Martin
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

The hallmark looks OK to me, Peter. I have seen minor distortions of the punch shapes on other pieces and in fact if you look at my example of the 1850 hallmark you will see that the duty mark punch shape is more circular than oval. In addition, if someone wanted to forge the hallmark why wouldn't they get everything right?

Phil

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Thanks Phill, perhaps the appearance of the basket & marks looking brand new had me fooled.

Best,

Peter

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”