Rhodesian Eisteddfod medal

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JanGroen
contributor

Rhodesian Eisteddfod medal

Post by JanGroen »

Good evening
This Rhodesian Eisteddfod medal by were made in 1928 by Turner & Simpson, Birmingham. It was never issued but is engraved 19
Contralto open. Got a few questions about it:
Will there be any way to find out how many were made, it seems like it may be rare?
Does the fact that it is not issued make it rarer and more collectible?
Can this be seen as a piece of jewelry today or will it be to novel?
Any information will be welcome.
Thank you
Jannie

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Rhodesian Eisteddfod medal

Post by dognose »

Hi Jannie,

I think with all such pieces as this, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people prefer items like this to be engraved as it denotes a certain piece of history, while others dislike engraving as they regard it too personalised.

Turner & Simpson would have held the die for the medal and no doubt struck the medal to order on a yearly basis. You would have to work out how many classes there were and there were probably three medals for each class awarded to however many people made up the choirs etc.

Could you wear it as jewellery? Well why not.

RHODESIA.—June 1.
The second annual Rhodesian Eisteddfod will be held at Salisbury on Whit-Monday, June I. The choral syllabus is as follows:
Mixed-Voice Choirs.—'And the glory of the Lord' (Handel); 'My love dwelt in a Northern land' (Elgar).
Male-Voice Choirs.—' Martyrs of the arena' (De Rille).
Children's Choirs.—' The rainbow' and 'Songs of the forest' (Kinross).
There are also classes for vocal quartets and trios, adult and junior vocal solos, and instrumental solos. Composers are invited to submit ideas for a Rhodesian Anthem and a Regimental March for the Southern Rhodesia Volunteers, and a prize is offered for the bestt poem in the form of an 'Ode to Rhodesia.'

Source: The School Music Review - 1st January 1914

Trev.
JanGroen
contributor

Re: Rhodesian Eisteddfod medal

Post by JanGroen »

Thank you, for your quick response. I like to collect these fob medals (thick that is what this is) as I found them more unique than war medals. Another reason I collect them are the fact that most have a nice set of Hallmarks and they are still cheap here in SA. My other medals are all engraved and it is always fun to try and find out more about the owners.
Thanks again
Jannie

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”