Unknown Makers Mark - Solid silver engraved thimble, Birmingham, 1894 or 1887

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Komosny Jan

Unknown Makers Mark - Solid silver engraved thimble, Birmingham, 1894 or 1887

Post by Komosny Jan »

Dear all.
I would like to ask you for help with identifying maker(s) mark.

Solid silver engraved thimble, Birmingham, 1894 or 1887

Thank you very much in advance.
Jan
GregHodgson1
contributor

Re: Unknown Makers Mark - Solid silver engraved thimble, Birmingham, 1894 or 1887

Post by GregHodgson1 »

Hi Jan

My first impression of the thimble is that the punch marks are not very crisp. I was thinking it could be that they have been rubbed away or the punch was not very effective or used by someone with not enough experience.

We can definitely distinguish the Lion and Anchor so know therefore that it is silver and Birmingham made. The maker could be Joseph Cook who was working from March 1862. The reason I feel this may be correct is that the position of the dot between the initials is at the base whereas there was another Birmingham maker named J Cook, working from March 1878 but he used the dot between the letters in the middle so he can be excluded.

The letter you feel is 1894 ( U ) or 1887 ( N ). I would be more inclined towards 1887 which is a Gothic N. Again it has probably been rubbed.

Unfortunately I can offer no further information on J Cook of Birmingham but other members may be able to help.

What I like about this thimble is the hand engraving around the rim. This is a zig-zag stitch. I remember my grandmothers old Singer sowing machine was able to do this.

GH

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”