Victorian Hip Flask

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
oholene

Victorian Hip Flask

Post by oholene »

I would like to know more about this beautiful piece. I believe the maker is Henry Hyde Aston of Birmingham and it was created in 1862. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Victorian Hip Flask

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

The information you've gleaned so far appears to be correct.

Henry H. Aston - Birmingham - 1863

To my knowledge, Henry Hyde Aston was not in the silverware business for very long, he was primarily a manufacturer of gold rings. He acquired his father's (Thomas Aston) business in the early 1860's and this is likely the origin of silverwares bearing Henry's mark.

Thomas Aston & Son - Birmingham - 1858

The '& Son' was not Henry, but William, Henry's half-brother. Thomas and William were registered with the BAO with the mark 'A&S'.

Henry's business was to continue for many years:

H. Aston Ltd. - Birmingham - 1932

H. Aston Ltd. was acquired by Padgett and Braham in 1969.

Trev.
oholene

Post by oholene »

Thank you Trev. Fascinating stuff! My grandfather bought this piece from an antique shop in Grimsby during the mid 1940's. It seems to be quite an elaborate piece. Could it have been specifically commissioned by someone or simply one of his standard line of products? Is the design of any significance and would you happen to know if it was engraved by hand or cast from a mold? Simply curious. Thanks again and cheers. Andrew
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I think only a close up inspection would determine if the piece was hand worked, but I would not be surprised if it were, even silver plated items were often the subject of an incredible amount of engraved work at this period of time.

Trev.

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”