DESPERATE for your help with this hallmark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
thecoolest3

DESPERATE for your help with this hallmark

Post by thecoolest3 »

Hello and thank you so much for reading, this site is awesome by the way! Well done! SO I have a set of 4 sterling silver Cordials in a case. The case says "Edward Jewelers and Silversmith, 92 Buchanan Street, Glasgow" with an ink stamp right above it which says "By Special Appointment to His Majesty The King" and some really small symbol with a lion and a unicorn.

Now here's the rub....

The makers hallmark says D & T

So confusing, I've searched for hours and cannot find who this maker is. Especially confusing because I thought Edward Jewelers was the maker. Did they have some sort of different role, such as importation or something? As you can see I'm new to antiques and find this piece very confusing. Is there anyone willing to help? Any input is appreciated. Thank you SOOO much in advanced. :-)

And here is the mystery pic, a close up of the hallmarks. Sorry for the quality, did the best I could:
Sorry for the quality, the hallmarks say ""D&T, Anchor, Lion, O"

Again, Any input is appreciated. Thank you SOOO much in advanced.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: DESPERATE for your help with this hallmark

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Are you sure that it is not 'D & F' ?

Trev.
thecoolest3

Post by thecoolest3 »

dognose wrote:
Are you sure that it is not 'D & F' ?
Hey Trev,

thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly, does it make sense (with the other hallmarks) that this would say D & F? You're most likely right. But even if it does say D and F, it still doesnt answer this mystery of why does it say Edward Jewelers in Glasgow???

Lastly what does the stamp mean which states "By special appointment to His Majesty the King?"

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Thank you Trev you're awesome
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,
For the maker's mark D&A check out Deakin & Francis Ltd.
See:
http://www.925-1000.com/dlBirmingham2.html#M
Birmingam date letter O for 1913 or 1938
http://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html

Edward Jewelers in Glasgow were perhaps the retailers and/or it is not the original box, because King Edward VII reign lasted; 22 January 1901 until his death in may the 6th 1910.
'By appointment to his majesty'; basically, it means that the company carrying the 'by appointment' notice is allowed to call itself an official supplier of goods or services to the King/Queen (or the palace) and can thus display her coat of arms on the signage."

Oel.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

For information on Edward & Sons, see: Scottish Advertisements and Information

Trev.

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”