Walking Stick maker's mark J.N.?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
FENR8R

Walking Stick maker's mark J.N.?

Post by FENR8R »

A walking stick I bought on the weekend bears hallmarks on a decorative band on the shaft as Sterling silver, made in Birmingham, England in 1896. It also has the initials J.N. in a rounded rectangle. None of the online directories have this one (that I can determine) so I am turning to this community for assistance. Photos:

Image and Image

Thanks for any and all assistance!

Edward
Cuznerfan
contributor

Re: Walking Stick maker's mark J.N.?

Post by Cuznerfan »

Makers mark is for Julius Nussbaum, Stick Mounter, 46 Fore St. London, first registered with Birmingham 27th November 1888 and finally on 12th November 1903, I hope this helps kind regards.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Edward,

Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks to your excellent images, and Cuznerfan's invaluable lead, Julius Nussbaum is now included in this topic:

Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Trev.
FENR8R

Post by FENR8R »

Thanks, Trev. And thanks, Cuznerfan. I appreciate the information. Fast, too!

Does that mean it was made in London vs. Birmingham? I'm not clear on that.

What kind of stick would the aforementioned Nussbaum stick be? A middle-class gents? Upper class? City? Country? I have no idea and would like to know the kind of gentleman who would have used this a century or so ago. As to its current owner, I'm a middle/working class fellow at a city university. I have brought it to work once already and intend to use it frequently.

Thanks!

Edward
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Edward,

The silver embellishment was assayed at Birmingham, and the stick likely, as per Nussbaum's addresses, made in London.

As to the status and location of the original owner, I fear that would only be speculation on my part, but it looks robust enough to be of actual use, rather than just show.

Trev.
FENR8R

Post by FENR8R »

Thanks, Trev!
FENR8R

Post by FENR8R »

Any idea on what kind of wood was typically used on such canes? The shaft is not very heavy and the grain is pretty fine. The handle is heavy and genuine stag horn - likely from Scotland, I expect. I use the stick at least once a week so I am debating adding an appropriate ferrule to it. It currently is bare wood. The silver band has a blank area on it for a monogram. I may do that. Thoughts?
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Edward

The most common wood used in walking sticks is malacca.
Your stick may have been ebonised as was popular around the time it was made hence the black colour.
Putting a monogram on a vacant cartouche is a matter of personal choice but in my experience hardly ever enhances the commercial value of an item.
Giving the stick a ferrule would of course protect the end from wear in use but its newness might detract from the overall appearance although if there are signs that a ferrule has been lost and you intend to use the item the addition of a new one, if sympathetically done, might be worth the risk.

Mike

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”