Antique silver cup need help to id.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
niceguy1

Antique silver cup need help to id.

Post by niceguy1 »

HI ALL

I need help to id this silver cup.

Are these just regular handles or have a particular usage? the handles are partly hallmarked with the lion & year mark.

The hallmark appears to be a stylised h & some other letters. the other marks are Birmingham & c for 1902. can anyone identify the maker? the hallmarks are upside down in relation to the cup.

3 Inches tall.

THANKS

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Antique silver cup need help to id.

Post by silvermakersmarks »

The maker is William Hutton & Sons Ltd of Birmingham.

I would suggest that the handles are designed to fold against the sides of the cup so that it will fit into a travelling container - unless someone else has another idea?

Phil
niceguy1

Post by niceguy1 »

Thanks i have compared it with the mark on your site & it is indeed William Hutton & Son.

That is a possible explanation , but why would it need handles in the first place? i mean most silver cups don't come with handles.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Agree with silvermakersmarks. Handles would be better if the drinks were hot, and better for keeping the contents cold than a hand wrapped around it.

Trev.
spobby
contributor

Post by spobby »

Possibly a Stirrup Cup, which was normally filled with some form alcohlic beverage & offered to a person mounted on horseback who was about to depart for the hunt.
Regaards
John

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”