Yapp & Woodward 1846 Teapot?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
halfmoonbay58

Yapp & Woodward 1846 Teapot?

Post by halfmoonbay58 »

The first letter in the makers mark is obscured, and I am a bit new to silver marks -- but my research suggests this is a teapot made by Yapp & Woodward dating to 1846. I would appreciate any views on this interpretation. Many thanks.

Image Image Image
silverport
contributor

Re: Yapp & Woodward 1846 Teapot?

Post by silverport »

No, it isn’t dated Birmingham 1846, even not is it Yapp & Woodward.

Hello

Welcome to the Forum.

I interpret the maker’s mark (in an oval) as: N&W = Norton & White; but the guide I’ve, don’t tell which product range they were making. So it remain a guess too.

This kind of N&W mark (Antic letters in an oval) was registered for Norton & White in 1900.

That time frame is also more adequate to the style of the tea pot in glass — because in 1846 Christopher Dresser played with his dog.

No; it isn’t a design of Christopher Dresserbut it looks like to be inspired from his designs.

The Birmingham Gothic date letter »t« in a vertical rectangle with clipped edges, I haven’t found in my notices, or in any internet source — all were shown in an oval.

But if it is a Gothic »t«, that is 1893 = 7 year difference to Norton & White 1900 maker’s mark.

Actually it remain open, from whom the teapot was made, and when assayed.

Kind regards silverport
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello,

As Silverport has said the makers' mark isn't the one registered by Yapp & Woodward not least because the mark they registered had a rectangular outline.

The item wasn't assayed in 1846. If it had been it would carry a Duty Mark showing Queen Victoria's head in an oval shape.

As Silverport has also pointed out there are anomolies with the marks shown. He has said Norton & White didn't register a mark at Bimingham until 1900 and it would normally be expected that all their assayed work was from that year and not before. There is however some evidence at http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that they were actually submitting work for assay from 1894.
There is also an anomoly with the outline shape of the date letter which would be expected in an oval outline, the letter style being lower case Gothic which the Assay Office only employed for one sequence, the letter "t" being for 1893-4. There is evidence however at the Birmingham Assay Office website http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/date-letters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in the introductory paragraph that "there may be some variations in background during the late 19th century---".

With this additional information attribution to Norton & White as makers and an assay of 1893-4 is more certain.

Mike
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Surely a claret jug rather than a teapot.

Miles
niceguy1

Post by niceguy1 »

Norton & White clearly made pieces before 1900 as can be seen from this 1898 dish. & btw is there any meaning to the interesting shape of the edges or it's just a design?

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,
Quote; There is however some evidence at http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk that they were actually submitting work for assay from 1894. Thanks for the confirmation.
I believe it to be designed to be used as a silver pin dish.

Oel.

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”