John Gilbert, Birmingham - or not?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
westcott

John Gilbert, Birmingham - or not?

Post by westcott »

I have a number of examples like this, the JG conforms with the font of John Gilbert, but it is J G not J.G Am I not observing correctly/Did the mark change at some date/Is it somebody else? Thank you
ImageImage
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I can't be of much help, other than to suggest that, if this is the same John Gilbert as that of the John Gilbert & Co. Ltd., and I presume it is, then they were a very large outfit and probably used more than one makers' mark.

They were listed as silversmiths and electroplaters in 1865 at Ryland Street North, Birmingham. They had a London office at Ely Place, Holborn. They had become a limited liability company by 1880, and are known to have produced a great variety of wares.
There may have been a connection with Thomas Prime & Son as they appeared to have shared the same address for their Birmingham offices at 107, Ryland Street.

At the moment the online database of makers' marks at the Birmingham Assay Office only covers the period up until 1858.

Trev.
carling
co-admin

Post by carling »

I have this mark recorded in my personal notes as Joseph Gloster. Whether it's correct or not I still need to verify.

Regards/carling
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Joseph Gloster would be a good fit. He entered his mark at Birmingham in 1888 and was a known maker of vesta cases.

Trev.
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Carling,
Joseph Gloster it is. His business address was 35 Vyse Street Birmingham.
Some of your other vestas assayed in Birmingham may have the maker J.G, the letters without serifs. Gloster registered this mark at Birmingham in 1890.

Mike
carling
co-admin

Post by carling »

Noted Mike. Many thanks. Here are 2 more J.G and J.G Ltd marks on three vesta cases which I had attributed to Joseph Gloster.

Regards/carling
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello again Carling,
The 1910-11 vesta is certainly by J Gloster Ltd.
Can't be sure for the other two though. On the face of it Gloster continued to use the 1888 style punch but Ridgway & Priestley on the Chester marks identify J Gammage, later Lawson Ward & Gammage, having registered a very similar mark in 1900. Chester & Birmingham marks are very often identical. There's no published work on the Birmingham marks of course.
LW & G were a London outfit of manufacturing jewellers but vestas could easily have been on their product list so probably the best course would be to contact the Birmingham office @ http://www.theassayoffice.uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If you find something there would you please let the forum know.
Sorry I couldn't be more definite.
Regards,
Mike
carling
co-admin

Post by carling »

Thanks Mike. I'll let you know if I find out anything else.

Regards/carling

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”