Large Georgian silver Tankard - W.C.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gemspring

Large Georgian silver Tankard - W.C.

Post by gemspring »

Hi,

I've done a lot of research to positively identify this piece; a large sterling silver tankard made in London.

The date mark is a lowercase 'd' in a simple shield, which would suggest either 1779 or 1819; those marks are so similar, its hard to tell. The style of the "WC" initial mark (and the design and craftsmanship of the piece) suggest William Cripps (1731-1767) but the dates don't line up. I guess it could be William Cattell, with a likely date of 1779 but I would very much respect and appreciate the opinions of forum members who might know better.

Thank you!

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Large Georgian silver Tankard - W.C.

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Identifying the maker will be problematic, but hopefully only in the short-term, as the maker's mark has been overstruck by 'WC':

However, as the cartouche surrounding the original mark is so distinctive, an answer will likely come to light.

Trev.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Before I start thinking about the maker I can confirm that the date has to be 1779 because there is no duty mark.

Phil
gemspring

Post by gemspring »

Thanks, Trev and Phil...

Yes, I was wondering about the extra edge seen around the WC mark. I'll have to pore over other makers' marks to see if I can find a cartouche that matches.

Why do you think a mark would be overstruck in this manner?

Thanks very much!
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I have not been able to find a mark which matches the profile of the underlying mark. I note that there seems to be another C under there. I think that William Cattell is the most likely to be WC.

As far as the reason for overstamping goes there may be several explanations. Perhaps WC was mainly a retailer but wanted his customers to have a more personalised experience. Perhaps it was old stock from a failed maker. Maybe the actual maker was not registered and sold his wares to someone who was able to get the assaying done.

Phil
gemspring

Post by gemspring »

Thanks, Phil.

Ok, that makes sense. As to the original maker, I am partway through searching a large database of possible marks. If I figure it out, I'll post it here for reference. I do appreciate your help.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I posted a sterling silver sugar shaker (aka muffineer) a few years ago with a date mark for 1780 with overstruck marks ::
Here is what The Buckler wrote concerning over-struck marks :

"Re overstriking.

I believe that an overstrike is entirely legal if done BEFORE assay , as basically the overstriker would then be the responsible sponsor of the item for assay . If done after ASSAY then I think an overstrike would be an offence , as if any query arose then the original sponsor might not be identifiable."

Return to “London Hallmarks”